As the mornings and evenings are starting to cool and the days get noticeably shorter, there is an obvious increase in the amount of people coming in to the store with lowered immunity.
Lowered immunity often presents itself in the form of sore throats, colds, and flus. There are a number of factors that can contribute to decreased resistance to these infections and there are a number of preventative measures that you can take to increase resistance.
Stress, nutrient deficiencies, poor lifestyle choices, extreme exercise, age, obesity, poor sleep and diet can all lead to decreased immunity, causing us to be susceptible to bacteria and viruses that we are exposed to.
To optimise your health and increase your immunity make sure to:
- Have 3-5 servings of a variety of fruit and vegetables daily
- Eat sufficient amounts of quality lean protein daily
- Stay hydrated with water or herbal teas, especially our ImmuniTea, elderflower, echinacea and olive leaf tea.
- Address stress and support yourself with the relevant herbs/nutrients.
- Take 1000mg of vitamin C daily Take 5 mls of echinacea daily.
- Check your zinc status.
- Take a multi vitamin to correct nutritional deficiencies
- Make sure to spend at least half an hour outside to get enough vitamin D.
If you do come down with a cold or flu, come into see us. We have a range of herbal tonics that we have specifically made for sore throats, chesty coughs and blocked noses. For a more personalised prescription, come and speak to one of our qualified medical herbalists.
The Herbal Dispensary