A new exhibition is now open at the Raglan Museum.
“Post Offices of Whaingaroa” is an eclectic collection of items and stories from the history of Post Offices in Raglan and districts.
In the early days, postal services were based at homesteads around the districts, like the Moon Family home at Te Uku and the Vause Family house in Cliff Street, Raglan.
As business developed postal services operated from local stores; e.g. Gilmour Bros in Raglan, and Watkin’s Store in Te Mata. Okete, Kauroa, Ruapuke, Aotea, Te Papatapu and Moerangi also had small bases for postal services.
The first dedicated Post & Telegraph buildings were built in Raglan, Te Uku and Te Mata. These Post Offices included switchboards for the telegraph & telephone service.
There have been lots of changes over the years; come and see this exhibition today, and learn more about the Post Offices of Whaingaroa! Raglan Museum / Te Whare Taonga o Whaingaroa is open 10am – 3pm most days.
Images clockwise from top left: Raglan Post & Telegraph Office in 1910; Mavis at the telephone switchboard; Te Mata P & T Office and Raglan Post Office in the 1970s – painting by Jenny Rhodes.