Do you want to give up smoking but find the withdrawals and breaking the habit are too difficult? There are many natural methods, supplements and herbs that can help you.
I will share some recent success I had in helping a client, who had been a heavy smoker for 15 years, kick the habit.
His treatment protocol was:
- He wanted to give up
- NAC or N-acetylcysteine. This nutrient has many uses but it’s helpful for giving up smoking because:
- It can modulate neurotransmitters (brain chemicals), especially those that play a role in addictions. In a recent trial, participants who used NAC experienced fewer withdrawals and a less rewarding experience on first cigarette.
- It has powerful antioxidant properties, helping the liver detoxify the harmful chemicals that are found in tobacco. In the same trial, participants who used NAC showed a decrease in DNA damage.
- It can help the lungs by breaking down mucous and assisting with removal.
- Herbs to support the nervous system and help ease any associated anxiety.
- Herbal tobacco to help with the habit of physically smoking. My patient used them initially when he really felt like actually smoking a cigarette but as the herbs are not addictive, he didn’t smoke as many and after a couple of weeks he stopped smoking them altogether.
Treatment will vary from one individual to the next so come and speak to one of our qualified naturopaths for your personal plan.
The Herbal Dispensary