Robertson Street could just as well have been Rutherford Street, as its first inhabitant was George Rutherford, a well-regarded figure in the community, who ran flax mills in the area during the early part of the 20th century. (He was the brother of the more famous Ernest, who worked in a small shed on George’s property). A story for another day…
But in 1916, Noel Robertson purchased George’s home. This old homestead still stands there today.
Noel and his family were well known for running Robertson’s Motor Transport for 54 years.
This included the daily Hamilton-Raglan mail run. Passengers were transported in Robertson’s cars, and then later in buses. Drivers included all 4 of his sons, as well as one of his daughters-in-law, Myrle.
The Robertsons eventually sold their property in Robertson Street, but one son, Denny and his wife Alice, retired to a new home in the street, thus keeping both street and family connected for many more years!